Changing Your Name

On your wedding day, you will receive the original signed “Certificate of Marriage”. Although this document proves your conjugal status is now ‘married’, many organisations and government departments will not accept it as legal proof of marriage. You may need to apply to Births, Deaths and Marriages for a Standard Marriage Certificate:

Below is a checklist of government departments and other institutions you may need to notify of your name change:

  • Will
  • VicRoads (driver licence/registrations)
  • Car insurance
  • Passport
  • Electoral Office
  • Australian Tax Office
  • Credit cards
  • Investment accounts
  • Insurance policies/superannuation (changing your beneficiary to your spouse)
  • Mortgages/rental agreements
  • Property titles
  • Council rates
  • Utility bills
  • Library card
  • Memberships – gyms/clubs/Frequent Flyer etc
  • Doctor, dentist and health care professionals
  • Blood Donor Card/Tissue and Organ Donation cards
  • Accountant/solicitor
  • Work – personnel officers for payroll, tax and superannuation
Kerry Holgate – Marriage and Funeral Celebrant – Mornington Peninsula – Ph: 0438 088 526